From Kanev Porossya to the Kievan Rus

Driving directions: Kaniv_- Pekari- Kaniv
Kaniv- Pylypenkova Mountain – Kaniv Mountains
The so-called Kaniv Mountains stretch over the right river bank . In 2001 Kaniv Mountains were submitted by scientific institutions of Ukraine to the group of five contenders for the title as world natural heritage to experts of the International Conservation Union (IUCN) under UNESCO. Kaniv Mountains were reckoned among 21 objects of the Seven Wonders of Ukraine. On the verge of a new era on Pylypenkova Hill there was the largest settlement of Zarubyntsi culture in Ukraine, which later combined with other formations became the foundation of belief of early Slavs.
Pekari-Knyazha(Prince) Mountain-Kaniv
The great prince Svyatoslav Igorevych, whose name is associated with the annalistic Roden on Knyazha(Prince) Mountain , used generic character bidental - the first heraldic symbol of the beginning of Kievan Rus. In the tenth century. Volodymyr Sviatoslavych enters 'trident' as a hereditary sign of Rurik dynasty. Some silver coins ( sribnyks) of Volodymyr depicting 'Trident' were found due to archeological excavations in 1904 at Knyazha Mountain and in 1913 in the village of Liplyave. For military campaigns Rusyches made banners of red and blue from the image of 'bidental ',' trident ' or the sun.The Kanevan autonomous Princes Rostislav Yuriyovych and Vsevolod Sviatoslavych used' bidental ' as a generic character.
In 980 the great-grandson of legendary Rurik Volodymyr , met Yaropolk, the elder brother in the cult center of Slavs in Roden located on the mountain near the modern Kaniv and Pekari. After discussing matters of ideological reforms of territorial and personal interests, Yaropolk was treacherously murdered. Volodymyr Sviatoslavych becomes the Grand Prince of Kiev. Since then territories of Kaniv sovereign principality within the principality of Kiev were formed. In 1030 the son of Volodymyr Yaroslav the Wise expanding the borders of Russia built the city of Yuriy. The second Vicariate of Kyiv was created. Kaniv goes to Yurievska diocese.
Date: 2010.12.26
Comments: